As many of you know, NPG is a distributed organization that has multiple teams of developers both in the United States and around the world, including Ukraine. Our Ukrainian team consists of developers in three different cities, and they have been a part of our company since 2006. Over the past 16 years, we've been blessed to work with such a talented group of professionals and develop friendships that cross both borders and timezones.
This week, the unilateral actions of an unhinged regime fixated on power, influence, and a twisted sense of history deemed it necessary to disrupt the lives of innocent people and attempt to destroy a peaceful, vibrant country.
Yeah - we're angry. Everyone should be. But for us, it hits close to home.
Many of you have reached out this week with the same three questions:
1) How can I help?
The situation in Ukraine is complex, but it is possible to help. Here are a few resources we would recommend:
- https://ukrainewar.carrd.co/ - This has information, historical background, and links to vetted charities.
- This Kickstarter will support the Kyiv Independent - an English-language news outlet. They will need support to continue to inform us of what is happening. And do follow their coverage on Twitter and their website.
- You can directly support the Ukraine Armed Forces here, but it does require wire transfers, which is recommended only for those who know how that works.
- Katya's fundraiser for Sunflower of Peace - This is a non-profit which is providing medical kits that can save up to ten lives per kit. Donations through PayPal reach them the quickest.
2) How is your team?
We have been in communication with our developers on a regular basis. Our team members are located in Ivano-Frankivsk, Lutsk, and Kharkiv. Ivano-Frankivsk and Lutsk are on the western half of the country, close to the EU, north, and south of Lviv. This week, there were missile attacks on those cities, mostly aimed at military targets, but they did not appear to be widespread.
Kharkiv is another story. Russian forces have occupied large parts of the city, which is about 25 miles south of the Russian border. We have a developer there who is currently in shelter riding it out, and Russian forces are literally outside the door. The situation in the east of Ukraine is not encouraging. Today, Monday, fighting reached a new extreme with many civilian casualties.
3) Does this affect workflow?
Some of you may think this is an inappropriate question or may be afraid to ask - but it is fair and needs to be addressed. NPG is prepared and has layers of redundancy in place to ensure our clients are continually served.
We'll take care of you and your projects, work and requests, but we ask that you consider sending your support to our Colleagues and the brave citizens of Ukraine, via the links above.
Please keep Ukraine in your prayers, especially in the coming days.